Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be providing me with a free copy of the Blu-ray I reviewed in this Blog Post. I received a free screener of the film to watch before interviewing Sarah Gilman. The opinions I share are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
I don’t care how old you are. If you ever were a Scooby-Doo fan, you’re one for life. When I got the opportunity to interview Sarah Gilman, who plays Velma in the new DAPHNE & VELMA original movie, I jumped on that chance!
Daphne & Velma
Jinkies! Your favorite mystery solving teenagers are back in an all-new, live-action feature length movie!
State of the art robots and high-tech gadgets are common sights at Ridge Valley High, an innovative center of learning for some of the brightest minds in the country, including new transfer student, the bright & optimistic Daphne Blake (Sarah Jeffery) who is excited to finally go to school with her online bestie, the whip-smart & analytical Velma Dinkley (Sarah Gilman).
But not everything is as innocent as it seems as mysterious disappearances begin to plague the top-performing students on campus. Once cheery and full of life, kids now appear in a “zombiefied” state – lifeless and shells of themselves. Can Daphne and Velma learn to work together and save the students or will they become the next victims? Get ready for thrills and laughs as we follow the first adventures of Mystery Inc.’s fierce female duo.
The film stars Sarah Jeffery (Disney’s “Descendants: Wicked World”) and Sarah Gilman (ABC’s “Last Man Standing”), and is produced by Ashley Tisdale and Jennifer Tisdale’s Blondie Girl Productions.
My Review of Daphne & Velma
DAPHNE & VELMA has everything that makes a “Scooby-Doo” mystery fun. It has great characters played by great actors, a fun storyline, humor and a mystery that will keep you and your kids guessing. I was totally into this movie! I love that Daphne and Velma have gotten modernized for this generation without taking away their charm and innocence.
Back in the old days (1970s) when I was a kid, the original “Scooby-Doo, Where Are You” was on TV. I loved that show, and I love that the reruns still play today. Both of my kids loved it as well, and I’ll bet when I have grandkids, they will love it too. Like I said….it never gets old. Once you love it, you love it for life.
This is a movie you can enjoy with your kids. It is cute and the scariness is not too scary….just like you remember. It’s available now from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment on Digital, Blu-ray and DVD.
Exclusive Interview with Sarah Gilman
I really enjoyed getting to interview Sarah Gilman along with several other bloggers. The questions were all fun yet thoughtful. You can tell that Sarah is a very intelligent young woman, and that she had a great time filming DAPHNE & VELMA.
Here are a few takeaways from our fabulous interview:
- Sarah hopes that DAPHNE & VELMA shows girls that they can do anything. Daphne and Velma show strength and courage even when they are afraid. They keep moving forward no matter what.
- Sarah’s mom is her role model. She says that when she was young, her mom sacrificed a lot for their family. Her mom worked hard to give Sarah’s family a better life.
- She hopes that this movie appeals to boys too! Girls like to watch movies where boys are the heroes, so why shouldn’t boys like movies where girls are, right? She thinks the mystery and humor will appeal to all kids. It’s important for boys to see girls in strong roles, and DAPHNE & VELMA fits the bill!
- Like most of us, Sarah is a big Scooby-Doo fan. Velma and Shaggy are her favorite characters because they’re funny, and they always seem to be the ones solving the mysteries! She relates to Velma a lot because they’re both really rational thinkers. Sarah thinks that what makes Scooby-Doo timeless is the relationship among the five friends. Even though they are cartoons, they’ve got great chemistry. The mystery genre is always fun because it keeps you guessing, and people love solving puzzles.
- Sarah couldn’t pass up the opportunity to play Velma. Though it meant she would have to stop in the middle of her film school classes, she knew she’d always regret it if she didn’t play Velma. She said that since the film is directed and produced by women, and she is studying to be a director and producer, she couldn’t say no.
- When you watch DAPHNE & VELMA, you’ll see that this could easily become a series. Sarah said she would be open to playing Velma in more movies.
Super Fun Extras!
Mystery Video Decryptor & Soundboard
• Help Daphne & Velma solve their latest case by helping them decrypt the footage! Dial the knob and meters to just the right position to unlock the footage and move to the next challenge.
• Trigger fun & spooky sounds right from the movie in this fun soundboard