Disclosure: I received some of the following products free for review; however, all opinions are my own.
As I’ve mentioned before, my daughter, Molly, will be doing her student teaching this year. It’s an exciting time for her, but I am sure it will make for some hectic mornings. There will be times when taking leftovers for lunch will be a lot easier than packing a lunch.
Enjoy a hot lunch at school with an MB Square Bento Box
With this MB Square Bento Box, Molly can pack up leftovers the night before, and take them with her to school the next day. This is microwave safe, and it’s got two separate compartmentalised tiers. Soup and salad makes a great lunch. You can pack soup in one tier and a salad, and even some bread, in the other tier since it has a small container that fits inside. I like that it has the elastic band that holds the two tiers together.
Watch this video!
See how easy it is to pack a healthy meal with the MB Square Bento Box. The first part of the video shows a product I didn’t get to review, but it looks really cool. It’s a Self-Blending Juicer Cup that would come in handy for quick breakfasts or snacks.
Back to School Lunch Tips from Dr. Christine Laramee
I’ve been sharing several healthy products in my other back to school lunch posts, and they fit right in with these tips from Dr. Christine Laramee of UnitedHealthcare.
- Switch to whole grains. Rudi’s Organic Kids Bread fits the bill here for when you pack sandwiches or make toast with breakfast. Quinoa and brown rice can be served hot or cold and can be packed easily in a bento box. Whole grains have more vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and they will keep kids satisfied longer.
- Pack the protein. Foods with protein help kids stay full and focused. Laura’s Lean Beef Jerky, Snack Mates, and U.S. Wellness Meats Meat Sticks are great paleo protein options. More good sources of protein include hard-boiled eggs, beans, nuts, nut butter like Crazy Richard’s peanut butter, tuna, salmon, rotisserie chicken, edamame, or yogurt.
- Make it colorful. Adding colorful fruits and vegetables can make a lunch look more appetizing, and these foods are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Make vegetables more exciting with a little bit of guacamole, hummus, salsa, or Vegy Vida on the side to add flavor and fun. Add Organic Slammers Superfood Snacks for some added fruit, veggies and nutrition!
- Keep them hydrated. Hydration is particularly important for children since they have higher water requirements than adults. Here is where AquaBall makes a great drink to send to school.
- Add a small sweet treat. Kids love treats, and adding something small to their lunches gives them something to look forward to. Portion size is the key to not overdoing it on the sugar. Send a few Stoneridge Orchards chocolate dipped fruits or Mrs. Thinsters cookies for their sweet treat. Emmy’s Organics and Honey Stinger Kids’ Organic Waffles make a good option too since they have a low sugar content. Save the other goodies for occasional weekends.
- Minimize junk food. Foods like chips, fruit snacks, and candy have little nutritional value. Replace these foods with The Little Kernel, PopZups, ParmCrisps, Snikiddys, or YumEarth.
U.S. Wellness Meats
U.S. Wellness Meats dedicates themselves to providing beef with superior taste, texture, and healthy fatty acids. Their nutrient-rich meats come from 100% grass-fed, grass-finished animals. Their animals are not tightly confined but have room to roam. They use no pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics, hormones or GMOs. They are committed to ensuring sustainable farming practices too.
Not only does U.S. Wellness Meats have Grass-fed beef, they’ve also got Free Range Poultry, Wild-Caught Seafood, Grass-fed Dairy, Grass-fed Bison and Grass-fed Lamb. Their pork is Heritage Pork which comes from breeds popular in the 1950s.
I love these meat sticks. You can really tell the difference between these and ones that are mass-produced. These are a great grab and go food or a great protein option for your child’s school lunch.
Follow U.S. Wellness Meats
Better for you sweet treats
When you’re packing your child’s lunch, or your lunch for that matter, it is best to check the sugar content of the treats you’re packing. Sure, lots of sugar might give you that instant sugar rush burst of energy, but it won’t last. These treats have just enough sugar, and I think your kids will love them.
The Gluten-Free Wildflower Honey, Gluten Free Chocolate Mint, and Gluten-Free Vanilla Chocolate Waffles are perfect snack items for back to school! These waffles from Honey Stinger are certified gluten-free, USDA organic, and will satisfy your child’s sweet tooth. I love how soft they are, and I think they’ve got just the right amount of “sweetness” for a school lunch treat. You can buy Honey Stinger directly from their website or search for a local seller using their dealer locator.
Follow Honey Stinger
Emmy’s Organics coconut cookies are a tasty, healthy treat both kids and parents can enjoy. They’re made with premium organic ingredients like freshly ground ginger and fair trade cocoa powder. These superfood bites are certified organic, gluten-free, vegan, soy-free, and have zero artificial ingredients. They make a great sweet treat for a healthy school lunch.
Emmy’s flavors include: Chocolate Chip, Dark Cacao, Lemon Ginger, Raspberry, Vanilla Bean, and Peanut Butter.
Follow Emmy’s Organics
YumEarth, makes the best fruit snacks! In addition to being the perfect size for a lunch box they are:
- USDA Organic
- Nut Free/Produced in a Nut Free Facility (in case schools have regulations)
- Gluten Free
- Free from high fructose corn syrup
- Free from most major food allergens
- Naturally colored and flavored
- And Delicious!
You know how much kids love fruit snacks, so they’re naturally going to want them in their school lunches. Rather than giving them ones filled with lots of sugar, give them YumEarth. Find out where you can purchase YumEarth on their website.
Follow these healthy back to school lunch tips and ideas, and you won’t have any problems packing a healthy lunch for your kids.