Winter is tough on our skin. Heated air tends to cause dehydration which causes our skin to become dry and sore; a problem that is further compounded by the fact that there is less moisture in cold air. Worse yet, this dryness tends to accentuate signs of aging; a two-for-one that hardly seems fair but is an unfortunate fact of life. As a result, it’s no surprise that most of us greet the onset of spring with open arms, delighted to embrace the season not just for the warmer weather and longer days, but for the fact that our skin will finally be able to recover in preparation for the warmer months to come. With spring well underway, and summer now a tangible reality rather than a distant spot on the horizon, here are a few summer skin prep tips that can help you put any winter skin issues so you can enjoy the best months of the year!
Girl, prep your face
- Hydration is arguably the most essential element of summer skin prep and care for post-winter skin. Face masks are a great choice. However, you don’t need to spend a small fortune on products. Check out these 6 homemade hydrating face masks that you can make using simple, everyday ingredients. Since you most likely have these on hand, experiment and find one that works best for you.
- For an extra boost, consider using facial skin care products that contain hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is an incredibly powerful moisturizer, which also provides a “plumping” effect that significantly improves the texture and appearance of facial skin. In particular, keep an eye out for serums that contain hyaluronic acid; the extra concentration found in these products tends to produce the best possible results.
- Like I said before, winter’s lack of humidity can also highlight signs of aging; if you are seeing this on your face, then focusing on this area during summer skin prep is worth it. Good news! There are 14 super simple ways to make your frown lines disappear, all of which are well worth trying. In addition, facial exercises can be a great way to combat those laugh lines too!
Summer skin prep tips for your body
- Exfoliation is an essential consideration for your body throughout the year, but it’s particularly beneficial following the dry winter months. Therefore, this summer skin prep tip is worth it. By preparing one of these 10 homemade body scrub recipes and using them a few times a week, you’ll nurture skin back to health more quickly.
- It’s helpful to get into the habit of using a lightweight body oil after showering or bathing since this helps to lock moisture into the skin and provides longer lasting hydration. You could use a store-bought oil, but I’d recommend using natural carrier oils – such as grape seed oil, sweet almond oil, or avocado oil – to achieve the same result more naturally.
- When you’re thinking about summer skin care preps, you’ve got to think about sunscreen! Consider your options and purchase new sunscreen each year. They do expire! Wherever possible, it is usually best to select a high SPF and opt for cream rather than spray versions; while sprays can be easier to use, the coverage can be unpredictable, so cream products are the best way to protect your skin throughout the summer months.
Don’t forget to prep your feet!
- Cracked heels can be painful and uncomfortable, and a lot of us have this problem after a long, dry winter. If you experience this issue, make finding a solution a priority. Thankfully, it’s pretty easy to heal your cracked heels. It’s definitely worth considering one of these 6 cracked heel treatments in an effort to nip the problem in the bud.
- Even if you don’t have cracked heels but are struggling with dry skin on your feet, it’s worth considering exfoliating socks as part of your summer skin prep. These socks use exfoliating acids to remove dry skin without the need for harsh abrasive exfoliating. The only downside is that the full process tends to take a few weeks to work, so you’ll need to get started ASAP if you do want to give exfoliating socks a try in time for summer.
- Finally, deep moisturizing is always beneficial and can help to assure that your feet are sandal-ready in time for summer. You can invest in expensive foot balms if you prefer, but these are rarely necessary. You can simply use the same oil-after-showering tip as I mentioned above but focus on using the thickest carrier oils in order to make sure you get a good result: sweet almond oil or castor oils are great options.
With all of these summer skin prep tips in mind, you should feel confident that your skin is fully prepared for the summer months, and soon those ravages of the winter months will soon become nothing more than a dim memory…until October rolls around again! Enjoy summer while you can, and use these tips now to be summer ready!