Creating the ultimate man cave is a fun way to give the guys in your household (and their friends) their own space. And it gets them out of your way! Bonus! Whether you’re inspired by an old school feel or a geek den for video gaming, giving the guys a space of their own can be a nice touch, and a fun room for movies, games and drinks.
Create The Ultimate Man Cave
Balance the areas of the room well.
- You’ll want a statement piece, like a large gaming table, for your ultimate man cave. However, don’t let it dominate the entire room. Add your statement item, but balance it with other pieces. A bar or a great sound system can create balance.
Have some fun with some neon lighting.
- Neons aren’t something you can usually make work in your home decor, but for creating the ultimate man cave, they can be a really fun addition. Car signs, sports team logos or other options like this that show some personality are a great pick.
Show off memorabilia.
- If you’re a sports fan, a man cave is a great place to showcase any memorabilia you have collected without it clashing with the rest of the decor. Jerseys, signed items or helmets can be displayed with great effect. If you love sports, a big TV is a must as well to watch the games.
Don’t be afraid to choose pieces that would never work in the rest of the home.
- A replica arcade machine, a large gaming rig or a wet bar might not work with the rest of the decor, but in creating the ultimate man cave, anything goes. Get a little crazy, and make this room a space where some serious fun can be had.
Take inspiration from bars and clubs.
- If the men at home have a favorite bar they love to hang out in, or they love the design of some of the classic London pubs, take some decor inspiration from these places. Dark woods, leather armchairs and moody shades of paint on the walls can create a sophisticated feel, instead of feeling like a teenage boy’s bedroom.
Love a cigar?
- Any cigar fan knows that cigars need to be stored properly to preserve the quality. If a cigar is a treasured treat, invest in a proper humidor from www.humidorenthusiast.com/collections/furniture-style-humidors. A humidor would make a great addition to the ultimate man cave. It stops the air from getting at the cigars, and keeps them at the correct level of humidity to keep them at their best to be enjoyed. Don’t forget, if you’ve got kids in the house, take the cigar smoking outside.
Get a projector to save room.
- If you want a cinema screen and need to save room, why not try a projector and a blank wall, so the whole room isn’t dominated by a giant television? If you do go for a traditional screen, find a way to hide it, either in a cabinet or with clever furniture that can be moved to hide or reveal it.
Think about the practical points.
- If you’re planning on putting in a series of TVs, arcade games or video game options, you’re going to need to make sure you have enough electrical outlets to plug everything in. Lay some more cable if you need to, and box in any loose wires to keep things safe and looking neat. If you want a bar when you’re creating your ultimate man cave, check you have access to plumbing if you want a sink. Consider adding a bathroom if the main bathroom is a distance away from the new man cave. For man caves in basements or garages, closet bathrooms can be a great option that require minimal plumbing changes.
Choose a central game table.
- Cramming in too many game tables will make the room feel cramped. So, choose one option and show it off. Whether you pick a table for pool, poker or Foosball, make it the centerpiece. Add some lighting above it to show it off and to make sure you can see clearly what you’re doing when you play.
Place seating to maximize the space properly.
- A man cave can be both a place to retreat to, and a space for socializing. So try to offer seating for both. Tuck some comfy armchairs into a corner for quiet relaxing. In addition, place some sofas in a more open layout for group gaming, enjoying drinks and chatting.
Add somewhere to store chilled drinks and snacks.
- A mini fridge can be a great addition for keeping drinks and cold snacks cool. Then they’ll be ready for you to enjoy whenever you want.
- If you’re putting a man cave in a space like a basement, all the electronics can cause things to get quite warm. If this is the case, make sure you’ve added a way to keep things cool. You can use an air conditioning unit or some large fans.
Whatever ideas you choose, just let the guys make it their own. Don’t try to force your decor ideas onto them. This is a guideline for creating the ultimate man cave. The rules aren’t set in stone! Just have fun!